- Date Posted
- Department Communications
- Location Flint, Michigan
About the Communications Officer Position
The Mott Foundation seeks a communications officer who will develop and implement communications strategies to support and advance the work of the Foundation and our Education program. The communications officer will report to the vice president of communications. The position is based at the Foundation’s headquarters in Flint, Michigan.
- Identify strategic communications opportunities in concert with the Education program team.
- Lead the planning, implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of communications activities.
- Assist the Foundation in monitoring and, when appropriate, responding to issues of potential public, government, and media interest and impact.
- Assist the Foundation’s grantees, when appropriate, in communicating about their Mott-funded programs and initiatives.
- Lead the development of compelling content in various formats — text, photos, video, graphics, etc. — for multiple audiences and uses, including the Foundation’s website and social media.
- Assist in the development of materials presented to external and internal audiences, including the Foundation’s board of trustees.
- Identify and respond to other program team communications needs.
- Coordinate and oversee the work of freelance writers, videographers and other vendors working on projects for the Foundation.
- Regularly share knowledge, strategies and results of communications efforts with colleagues.
- Collaborate on Foundation-wide projects led by the Communications Department, such as our annual report and communications related to our forthcoming 100th anniversary.
You may be a strong candidate if you have the following attributes:
- You’re able to think strategically and execute on strategy.
- You have outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- You’re comfortable interacting with and presenting to internal and external audiences at all levels.
- You work collaboratively, building relationships, trust and credibility along the way.
- You’re a self-starter, capable of working on multiple tasks on deadline and under pressure.
- You work well in a fluid environment where priorities may change quickly.
- You would welcome feedback to improve the effectiveness of your work and that of the Communications Department, and to strengthen the Mott Foundation’s overall impact.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or a related field is preferred.
- Ten years of experience in communications. Experience in philanthropic and/or public interest communications is preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in education communications.
- The position requires an on-site presence in the Flint, Michigan, office.
- It also requires occasional travel.
How to Apply for This Position
The Mott Foundation has engaged the national search firm Chaloner to assist us in recruiting for this position. To apply, visit Chaloner.com.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage interested parties to apply as soon as possible.
About the Mott Foundation
The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, established in 1926 in Flint, Michigan, by an automotive pioneer, is a private philanthropy committed to supporting projects that promote a just, equitable and sustainable society. It supports nonprofit programs throughout the United States and, on a limited basis, internationally. Grantmaking is focused in four programs: Civil Society, Education, Environment and Flint Area. In addition to Flint, offices are located in metropolitan Detroit, Johannesburg and London. In 2021, the Foundation made 382 grants totaling more than $171 million and had year-end assets of approximately $4.2 billion. For more information, visit www.mott.org.
The Mott Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity of thinking, background and perspective among its staff. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
This position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, as well as generous benefits and retirement plans.