About the positions
Reporting to the vice president of communications in the Flint office, the communications officers will develop and implement communications strategies to advance the goals of the Foundation and one of two program teams: Education or Flint Area.
- Identify strategic communications opportunities in concert with relevant program team.
- Lead the planning, implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of communications activities.
- Assist the Foundation in monitoring and, when appropriate, responding to issues of potential public, government, and media interest and impact.
- Assist the Foundation’s grantees, when appropriate, in communicating about their Mott-funded programs and initiatives.
- Lead the development of compelling content in various formats — text, photos, video, graphics, etc. — for multiple audiences and uses, including the Foundation’s website and social media tools.
- Assist in the development of materials presented to external and internal audiences, including the Foundation’s Board of Trustees.
- Identify and respond to other program team communications needs.
- Coordinate and oversee the work of freelance writers, videographers and other vendors working on projects for the Foundation.
- Regularly share knowledge, strategies and results of communications efforts with colleagues.
- Collaborate on cross-cutting, team-specific and Foundation-wide projects led by the Communications Department, such as a redesign of the Foundation’s website and the development and production of the annual report.
Qualifications and requirements
- A bachelor’s degree is required — master’s preferred — in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in communications, with experience in philanthropic and/or public interest communications preferred.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience relevant to the program(s) they aim to serve.
You may be a strong candidate if you have the following attributes:
- You’re able to think strategically and execute on strategy.
- You have outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- You’re comfortable interacting with and presenting to internal and external audiences at all levels.
- You work collaboratively, building relationships, trust and credibility along the way.
- You’re a self-starter, capable of working on multiple tasks on deadline and under pressure.
- You work well in a fluid environment where priorities may change quickly.
- You would welcome feedback as a way to improve the effectiveness of your work and that of the Communications Department, and to strengthen the Mott Foundation’s overall impact.
How to apply
Please submit your application via e-mail with a subject line that contains only your name. Include a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for one or both of the positions, as well as your salary requirements. Please include your résumé, three references, and up to five samples of work that demonstrate your ability to succeed in the position(s). Because we will review applications on a rolling basis, we encourage interested parties to apply early.
Submissions to: email@example.com
Submission deadline: March 1, 2019
About the Mott Foundation
The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, established in 1926 in Flint, Michigan, by an automotive pioneer, is a private philanthropy committed to supporting projects that promote a just, equitable and sustainable society. We support nonprofit programs throughout the United States and, on a limited geographic basis, internationally. Grantmaking is focused in four programs: Civil Society, Education, Environment and Flint Area. In addition to Flint, offices are located in metropolitan Detroit, Johannesburg and London. With year-end assets of approximately $3 billion in 2018, the Foundation made 358 grants totaling more than $132 million. For more information, visit www.mott.org.
The Mott Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity of thinking, background and perspective among its staff. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. This position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.