The Mott Foundation, headquartered in Flint, Michigan, has partnered with K–12 Recruitment Group to seek a Content Acquisition Lead to join their Education team. This is a unique opportunity to lead the content development and acquisition function for a new multi-platform app that will increase access to high-quality content and professional development at afterschool programs throughout the United States.
About the Mott Foundation
The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, established in 1926 in Flint, Michigan, by an automotive pioneer, is a private philanthropy committed to supporting projects that promote a just, equitable and sustainable society. The Foundation supports nonprofit programs throughout the United States and, on a limited geographic basis, internationally. Grantmaking is focused in four programs: Civil Society, Education, Environment and the Flint Area. In addition to Flint, offices are located in metropolitan Detroit, Johannesburg and London. With year-end assets of approximately $3 billion in 2018, the Foundation made 358 grants totaling more than $132 million.
Type of Search: National
Job Title: Content Acquisition Lead
Department: Education Team
Location: Flint, Michigan, is highly preferred
About the Position
This position will be responsible for acquiring and developing high-quality, engaging content for a new and innovative app for afterschool educators. The position demands in-depth knowledge of the afterschool and general education environment as well as some technical knowledge of online publishing, content development, and digital marketing. This person in this position will help improve the quality and availability of afterschool educational programming nationwide.
Reporting to the App Project Director, this position will develop and manage relationships with potential and existing app content partners and oversee the acquisition and preparation of afterschool curriculum and content for the app. Expertise in educational curriculum development is required. Experience in a fast-paced, digital publishing environment and familiarity with the use of digital content management and editing tools is a must. Knowledge of online publishing and apps is a plus.
- Identifies and develops existing curricula for app distribution.
- Cultivates and manages relationships and agreements with new and existing content partners.
- Works with content partners in preparing app-ready content and/or transforming existing content for loading into the app.
- Develops, designs and publishes afterschool curricula for an online app.
- Edits, transforms and loads existing content provided by partners and others.
- Oversees general quality control and publishing, ensuring quality afterschool programming.
- Establishes and enforces editorial and publication processes for content production.
- Develops and defines workflow systems and tracking; sets style guidelines.
- Works with team members to train new content contributors and partners, and to enforce editorial excellence.
- Manages App Content Specialist.
Qualifications and Requirements
- At least 10 years’ experience in the development or curation of high-quality educational curriculum.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Out of the box thinking and experience with online learning systems.
- In-depth understanding of afterschool programming.
- Excellent editing skills to ensure standards, quality, consistency and tone.
- Functional understanding of digital publishing, editing, standards and protocols.
- General ability to manipulate, reformat and edit a variety of digital media, including digital photography and video in a publishing environment.
- Working knowledge of the philanthropic world, including public, private, family and corporate foundations.
- Able to coordinate multiple demands, from multiple stakeholders and partners, in a competitive and fast-paced environment.
You may be a strong candidate if:
- you’re able to think strategically and execute on strategy;
- you have outstanding written and verbal communications skills, and are comfortable interacting with and presenting to internal and external audiences at all levels;
- you work collaboratively, building relationships, trust and credibility along the way;
- you’re a self-starter capable of working on multiple tasks on deadline and under pressure;
- you work well in an environment where priorities may change quickly; and
- you would welcome feedback as a way to improve the effectiveness of your work, and that of the Education team, and to strengthen the Mott Foundation’s overall impact.
How to Apply
Email the following to Executive Recruiter, John Meurer, at email@example.com:
- Subject Line: Content Acquisition Lead and Your Name.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for this position, as well as your salary requirements.
- A detailed resume in Word format that demonstrates your experience and accomplishments.
- List of three professional references.
- Up to five samples of work that demonstrate your ability to succeed in the position.
We will review applications on a rolling basis; therefore, we encourage interested parties to apply early.
No phone calls, please.
The Mott Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity of thinking, background and perspective among its staff. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. This position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.