The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, headquartered in Flint, Michigan, is seeking a Partnership Development and Content Lead to join their Education team. This is a unique opportunity to lead the content acquisition and cultivation function for a new multi-platform app that will increase access to high-quality content and professional development at afterschool programs throughout the United States.
About the Mott Foundation
The Mott Foundation, established in 1926 in Flint, Michigan, by an automotive pioneer, is a private philanthropy committed to supporting projects that promote a just, equitable and sustainable society. It supports nonprofit programs throughout the United States and, on a limited geographic basis, internationally. Grantmaking is focused in four programs: Civil Society, Education, Environment and Flint Area. In addition to Flint, offices are located in metropolitan Detroit, Johannesburg and London. With year-end assets of approximately $3.1 billion in 2019, the Foundation made 364 grants totaling more than $133 million.
Department: Education Team
Reports to: App Project Manager
Job Title: Partnership Development and Content Lead
Location: Flint, Michigan, is highly preferred. Semi-remote work will be considered.
About the Position
This position will be responsible for acquiring and cultivating high-quality, engaging content for a new and innovative app for afterschool educators. The position demands in-depth knowledge of building sustainable partnerships, and would prefer knowledge of the afterschool and general education environment, online publishing, content development and digital marketing. The person in this position will help improve the quality and availability of afterschool educational programming nationwide.
Reporting to the App Project Manager, this position will develop and manage relationships with potential and existing app content partners and oversee the acquisition and preparation of afterschool curricula and content for the app. Expertise in building and negotiating partnerships and contracts or licensing agreements is required. Expertise in educational curricula development is desired. Experience in a fast-paced environment and familiarity with the use of digital content management and editing tools is a must. Knowledge of online publishing and apps is a plus.
- Identify existing curricula and formats and develop it for app distribution.
- Identify and develop new content partnerships, cultivate, and manage existing relationships, and negotiate licensing agreements with new and existing content partners.
- Work with content partners in preparing app-ready content and/or transform existing content for loading into the app.
- Edit, transform and load existing content provided by partners and others.
- Oversee general quality control and publishing, ensuring quality afterschool programming.
- Establish and enforce editorial and publication processes for content production.
- Develop and define workflow systems and tracking, including partnership management; set style guidelines.
- Work with team members to train new content contributors and partners, and to enforce editorial excellence.
- Manage Partnership and Content Specialist.
Qualifications and Requirements
- At least 10 years’ experience in the development of high-visibility partnerships.
- Experience negotiating complex agreements.
- Experience in the development or curation of high-quality educational curricula.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Out-of-the-box thinking and experience with online learning systems.
- Understanding of afterschool programming.
- Excellent editing skills to ensure standards, quality, consistency and tone.
- Functional understanding of digital publishing, editing, standards and protocols.
- General ability to manipulate, reformat and edit a variety of digital media, including digital photography and video in a publishing environment.
- Preferred working knowledge of the philanthropic world, including public, private, family and corporate foundations.
- Able to coordinate multiple demands, from multiple stakeholders and partners, in a competitive and fast-paced environment.
You may be a strong candidate if:
- You are able to think strategically and execute on strategy.
- You have outstanding written and verbal communications skills and are comfortable interacting with and presenting to internal and external audiences at all levels.
- You work collaboratively, building relationships, trust and credibility along the way.
- You are a self-starter capable of working on multiple tasks on deadline and under pressure.
- You work well in an environment where priorities may change quickly.
- You would welcome feedback as a way to improve the effectiveness of your work and that of the Education team, and to strengthen the Mott Foundation’s overall impact.
How to Apply
Email the following to: email@example.com (Kevin McLean)
- Subject Line: Partnership Development and Content Lead and Your Name.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for this position, as well as your salary requirements.
- A detailed resume in Word format that demonstrates your experience and accomplishments.
- List of three professional references.
We will review applications on a rolling basis; therefore, we encourage interested parties to apply early.
No phone calls, please.
The Mott Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity of thinking, background, and perspective among its staff. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. This position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.