The Mott Foundation, headquartered in Flint, Michigan, has partnered with search firm K-12 Recruitment Group to conduct a national search for a User Acquisition Lead to join their Education team. This is a unique opportunity to lead the user acquisition for a new multi-platform app that will increase access to high-quality content and professional development at afterschool programs throughout the United States.
About the Foundation
The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, established in 1926 in Flint, Michigan, by an automotive pioneer, is a private philanthropy committed to supporting projects that promote a just, equitable and sustainable society. We support nonprofit programs throughout the United States and, on a limited geographic basis, internationally. Grantmaking is focused in four programs: Civil Society, Education, Environment and the Flint Area. In addition to Flint, offices are located in metropolitan Detroit, Johannesburg and London. With year-end assets of approximately $3 billion in 2018, the Foundation made 358 grants totaling more than $132 million.
Charles Stewart Mott was an automotive pioneer, community leader and philanthropist who cared about innovation, a just society and the strength of communities. Nine decades ago, he established the Foundation that bears his name in response to his deep concern about the welfare of Flint, Michigan, and an abiding affection for his adopted community.
Initially, the Foundation served as a vehicle for fulfilling the Mott family’s charitable interests. It began to evolve in 1935, when Mr. Mott teamed with local educator Frank Manley to create community schools in Flint. Their innovative approach to using schools to meet neighborhood needs would become a national model. That project also served as a platform for the Foundation to expand international grantmaking and become a global force for positive change in the areas of education, civil society and the environment.
The Foundation that Mr. Mott launched in 1926 with a $320,000 endowment now has roughly $3 billion in assets, offices in three countries, and a legacy of working with local organizations to improve communities on every continent except Antarctica. The Foundation has given away more than it is currently worth, awarding grants totaling more than $3 billion to organizations in 62 countries.
Education Program Overview
Education has been a consistent and major theme of the Foundation’s work. From its earliest years as a grantmaking institution, the Foundation has explored and funded programs that support, enrich and expand learning opportunities for young people, with a special emphasis on helping students from low-income families and communities. Education as a pathway out of poverty and into self-sufficiency has been a bedrock value of the Foundation for over 90 years.
The current Education program plan continues the Foundation’s long-standing commitment to education and poverty alleviation and builds on the Foundation’s strong track record expanding access to high-quality afterschool and summer learning opportunities. Through the four approved program areas — Advancing Afterschool, Graduating High School College & Career Ready, Youth Engagement and Special Initiatives — the grantmaking activities respond to the need to prepare all young people for social and economic success in the 21st century. In 2018, the Education Program awarded 73 grants totaling $21,588,763 across the four program areas.
As part of its education grantmaking initiatives, the Mott Foundation is developing an education app that will help improve access to high-quality educational content and professional development resources in afterschool programs across the United States. With the launch on the horizon, we are seeking a highly qualified and experienced marketing professional to join our team and promote this new project.
Department: Education Team
Reports to: App Project Director
Job Title: User Acquisition Lead
Location: Flint, Michigan, is highly preferred. Might consider remote candidates.
The User Acquisition Lead is responsible for creating, designing and delivering a diverse set of marketing and user acquisition programs focused on growing and expanding the awareness, user-base and overall use of a new and innovative online afterschool app. This position demands:
- knowledge of the afterschool and general education environment;
- experienced technical knowledge of online marketing tools, techniques and graphics; and
- the ability to independently develop and execute a comprehensive marketing plan.
Online digital marketing expertise is crucial. Exceptional communication is required. Extensive experience with online campaign metrics is highly preferred and strong analytical skills are a must.
- Coordinate, develop, test and deploy multiple campaigns designed to drive product recognition and user acquisition.
- Plan and execute end-to-end demand generation programs, which include, but are not limited to, webinars, emails, blog posts, paid media, content syndication, etc.
- Present workable recommendations to the app project director, the project team and the project’s advisory board.
- Work with the communications department of the organization to coordinate common objectives, where necessary, and ensure programmatic and organizational continuity.
- Maintain and analyze campaign reporting, metrics and other usage statistics, and dynamically refine approaches to meet objectives.
- Identify and manage digital agency relationships as well as in-house and out-sourced creative resources.
- Plan, implement and analyze campaigns, refining and iterating for success.
- Lead management of multiple digital touch points with users and stakeholders.
- Oversee the activities of the project’s social media presence, lead generation, conversion and related application marketing tasks.
Skills and Experience
- Understand the workings and applicability of digital, social media and online marketing tools and search engine optimization to promote the app and drive user acquisition.
- At least 5 years’ experience in online marketing, application marketing and user acquisition campaigns.
- Proven experience in digital assets delivery and proven ability to manage microsites, social media applications and online ads.
- Excellent editing, writing and communications skills to ensure standards, quality, consistency and tone.
- Innovative, creative, out-of-the-box thinking and a solid understanding of social media marketing and campaigning.
- Able to coordinate multiple demands, from multiple stakeholders and partners, in a competitive and fast paced environment.
- Experience with online learning systems, afterschool programs and educational systems a plus.
You may be a strong candidate if:
- You want to be part of a start-up team within a successful mission-driven organization.
- You have work history of utilizing digital marketing techniques to acquire users for a new product or service.
- You have experience with either afterschool programming needs or K–12 education.
- You have experience marketing apps to the PK–12 education sector.
- You have developed a successful marketing plan for an education app.
- You are both a strategic and analytical person.
- You have experience with online campaign metrics.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- You have written press releases.
- You have an outgoing personality.
- You are able to engage an audience at industry conferences and workshops, acting as the face of the app to the users.
How to Apply
Email the following to K-12 Recruitment Group – John Meurer, Executive Recruiter at email@example.com:
- Subject Line: User Acquisition Lead and Your Name.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for this position.
- A detailed resume in Word format that demonstrates your experience and accomplishments.
- A list of three professional references.
- Your salary requirements.
- Up to five samples of work that demonstrate your ability to succeed in the position.
We will review applications on a rolling basis; therefore, we encourage interested parties to apply early.
No phone calls, please.
The Mott Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity of thinking, background and perspective among its staff. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. This position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.