The Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, established in 1926 in Flint, Michigan, by an automotive pioneer, is a private philanthropy committed to supporting projects that promote a just, equitable and sustainable society. We support nonprofit programs throughout the United States and, on a limited geographic basis, internationally.
Grantmaking is focused in four programs: Civil Society, Education, Environment and the Flint Area. In addition to Flint, offices are located in metropolitan Detroit, Johannesburg and London. With year-end assets of approximately $3 billion in 2018, the Foundation made 358 grants totaling more than $132 million.
Position: User Support Technician
Location: Flint, Michigan
Reports to: Program Director — Education
The Mott Foundation is developing an education app that will help improve access to high-quality educational content. With the launch on the horizon, we are seeking a qualified user support technician to help create the future and improve the App user experience — and afterschool educational programming more generally.
The User Support Technician is primarily responsible for external user support, including user onboarding, pre- and post-installation support, with limited support to internal staff. Experience in a fast-paced, digital publishing environment is a plus.
Provide technical assistance and support for incoming telephone and email queries and track and respond to issues related to an IOS/Android App. Respond to queries either in person or over the phone. Respond to email messages from end users seeking help. Provide telephone assistance with setup and installation of the App on end-user equipment. Track and monitor requests for assistance. Provide internal technical assistance to other App staff. Develop and maintain App-related fulfillment materials and documentation. Develop and refine fulfillment and training processes. Interface where and when needed with development staff to ensure and enhance App quality, feature and function. Respond to general and technical informational inquiries. Work with the App team to ensure successful adoption of the App by afterschool volunteers and teachers.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist in the “pre-sales” process, explaining technical requirements, installation process and other configuration requirements.
- Onboard users, providing initial guidance and training to a wide variety of skill levels on both IOS and Android devices.
- Analyze and debug installation and other technical issues as they arise, solving end-user problems and/or providing feedback to App development staff if needed.
- Provide training, handholding and guidance through initial installation and initial use to new users, including proactive outreach throughout the pre-and post-sales lifecycle.
- Provide on-demand external support via telephone, email and the App.
- Coordinate with product development to identify problems and/or provide solutions and suggest improvements.
- Be an App “expert” (features, use, implementation) for internal staff and external users.
- Support internal staff, answering technical questions about the App and its use.
- Assist internal staff in the support of a fast-paced content publishing environment.
- Work with the user success lead to coordinate common objectives.
- Manage helpdesk ticketing and follow-up.
- Create and maintain product, support and training documentation.
- Help develop and refine training materials and fulfillment materials.
- Help design and facilitate in-person workshops at afterschool conferences, workshops or other meetings.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced technical knowledge of IOS, iPadOS and Android-based applications.
- Analytic and troubleshooting skills are a must; patience a virtue.
- Experience dealing with both internal and external non-technical users.
- Experience providing technical support to casual and non-technical users, typically in a resource constrained environment.
- Experience providing remote technical support to a wide variety of skill levels.
- Excellent communications skills to ensure standards, quality, consistency and tone.
- Experience with online learning systems a plus.
- Experience with the “tools of the trade,” including Zendesk (Helpdesk), the App Store (Apple) and the Play Store (Google).
- Experience developing and managing fulfillment materials for an online app.
- Experience developing and managing fulfillment processes for an online app.
- Able to coordinate multiple demands, from multiple stakeholders and partners, in a competitive and fast-paced environment.
- A tolerance for ambiguity and a customer-service orientation.
- Working knowledge of the afterschool and general education environment a plus.
The Application Process
The Mott Foundation is committed to equal opportunity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability or veteran status. The Foundation encourages diversity of thinking, background and perspective among its staff. The goal is to fill the position as soon as possible.
Applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line containing “User Support Technician.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested parties are encouraged to apply early. Applications must include: 1) a cover letter that speaks to the ideal qualities and skills outlined in this position description; and 2) a resume.
All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.