- Program Exploratory and Special Projects
- Program Area Historically and Predominantly Black Colleges and Universities
- Grant Amount $500,000
- Grant Period January 1, 2006–December 31, 2006
- Location New Orleans, LA, United States
- Geographic Focus New Orleans
About this grant
Hurricane Katrina severely damaged Xavier University’s campus and forced the cancellation of the fall 2005 semester. Although much of the restoration work will continue for months, the initial cleanup and reconstruction effort progressed well and allowed the university to reopen for classes on campus in January 2006.This grant will provide assistance for the reconstruction of laboratories, classrooms and offices, as well as the replacement of essential instrumentation and core facilities. Further, it will provide scholarship and financial aid support to approximately 10 students with documented financial need.Xavier University was established in 1915 in New Orleans as a liberal arts college.