Back to Listing

Capacity Building

Community Chest of the Western Cape

www.comchest.org.za

  • Program Civil Society
  • Program Area Enhancing Community Philanthropy
  • Grant Amount $80,000
  • Grant Period October 1, 2003–March 31, 2005
  • Location Cape Town, South Africa
  • Geographic Focus South Africa

About this grant

A recent study of the nonprofit sector in South Africa found that 53 percent of nonprofits are community-based, predominantly led by black women, providing essential support and services to communities and yet operating with very few resources. On the other hand, the remaining 47 percent that are larger and more often urban-based, with white leadership receive more resources from government, the private sector and other donors. There is a critical need to address this imbalance.Multiyear funding will enable the Community Chest of the Western Cape to become involved in communities that were previously excluded from access to funding because of limited capacity; enhance the capacity of rural and urban grassroots projects to access funds; ensure that donor funds are distributed more widely and utilized more effectively in communities with limited resources; and gather information from community organizations about the changing needs of more isolated communities with few resources.The Community Chest of the Western Cape, established in 1928 and affiliated with United Way International, provides funding to community-based organizations in the Western Cape.