- Program Exploratory and Special Projects
- Program Area Historically and Predominantly Black Colleges and Universities
- Grant Amount $1,800,000
- Grant Period January 1, 2008–December 31, 2010
- Location Atlanta, GA, United States
- Geographic Focus Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia
About this grant
This grant will provide support to partially endow the Center to Serve Historically Black Colleges and Universities at the Southern Education Foundation. Black colleges have been a focus of the grantee’s work for many years. Most recently, programs have addressed issues such as accreditation, alumni development, graduation rates in the sciences, teacher training, technology planning, and Hurricane Katrina recovery. This grant will leverage endowment matching funds from the Mellon Foundation and allow the grantee to achieve its program endowment goal of $6 million. In 2007, the Southern Education Foundation celebrates the 140th year of its founding. It is the South’s only regional nonprofit focused exclusively on improving education for low-income students and communities from preschool through post-secondary education.