Back to Listing

Repairs to Durant-Dort Carriage Company Office Building

Genesee County Historical Society

www.geneseehistory.org

  • Program Flint Area
  • Program Area Restoring Community Vitality
  • Grant Amount $16,000
  • Grant Period April 1, 2006–December 31, 2006
  • Location Flint, MI, United States
  • Geographic Focus Flint

About this grant

This grant will enable the Genesee County Historical Society to repair the first floor of the Durant-Dort Carriage Company office building, which has been dropping because of a rotting floor support frame and joists. Constructed in 1896 at 315 West Water Street in Flint, the building was the original headquarters of the Durant-Dort Carriage Company and eventually the birthplace of General Motors. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1975, the building currently houses the Genesee County Historical Society and the Flint Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. The building’s public meeting spaces also are used by various community groups including Carriage Town Historic Neighborhood Association, Genesee Freenet, Buick Club of America, Downtown Challenge groups, Sister Cities and Wireless Genesee.The Historical Society was established in 1863 to encourage the collection and preservation of historic materials and encourage greater public interest in the historical activities of Genesee County.